Monday, November 20, 2017

Worthy of the call

My hearty greetings to you all from the beautiful Pearl of Africa.  I pray that you're doing well, enjoying snow (if you live in a snowy place, because let's be honest, snow is THE BEST) and preparing for the holidays. My mind forgets sometimes that it's Thanksgiving time in the US, but I hope you're all able to reflect on what you're truly thankful for.  Practicing thanksgiving is something we've been talking about at M:MM, how we can practice it more and why it is important. So I've been trying to begin the days by saying a prayer, including more focus on giving thanks to the Lord. This is an important practice, one we see all throughout the Psalms, and one we see Jesus demonstrate regularly. Before any miracle or work, Jesus first thanked His Father.  Matthew 14: 19, "...taking the five loaves and two fish and looking up to Heaven, He gave thanks and broke the loaves.  Then He gave them to the disciples and the disciples gave them to the people." May we follow His example.

Time, as they say here is really running.  This month has been really full. I've felt increasingly like a part of the M:MM staff, that my opinion is valued and have dealt with conflicts or some more tough situations in the lives of staff. I've loved having the chance to facilitate in communities more, on different health topics-including peptic ulcers and balanced diet. I oriented and trained the staff on elevated blood pressure, and look forward to holding a training on elevated blood pressure in the communities this month. I've also enjoyed home visiting in Bukhalu, and getting to know a new couple (to me) Fred and Carol. Fred and Carol were gracious to me, we talked and laughed, they taught me some things in Lumasaaba and helped me to practice speaking, and we shared from the Word. Fred shared that it is good to be saved,  because your problems don't seem so big. He and his wife Carol are not yet saved, but shared that they'd like to be, but weren't ready that day. I shared from Ephesians 2: 4-6 with Fred, about how we are saved by grace through faith, and that God is the one that saves us. Be praying for them to come to trust Jesus as Lord, and that I would have further chance to share with them. Another highlight from work this month was our monthly wholistic visit where we visit a staff member's home, and fast and pray together as we share from the Word. This month Papa Solomon shared about Jesus being the Good Shepherd, and how sheep know their shepherd's voice, and it challenged me to think about if I know my Shepherd's voice. I was also reminded of another story in the Bible where Jesus shares how the Shepherd will leave the 99 to find the one, and am grateful for such a loving and caring God.

This month I've been grateful for the beauty that comes when you just say "yes" to someone. I've had some great conversations, interactions, and further built relationships that wouldn't have happened if I had just stuck to my schedule and routine.  As someone that thrives on quality time and good conversation, it has made me feel so full and loved.

Something that I've been reflecting on this month is faithfulness. Not God's but mine. How faithful am I? The verse from Ephesians 4:1, that urges me to live a life worthy of the calling I've received has stuck with me. Where does my allegiance really lie? I know at the core my allegiance is to God, but do my thoughts and actions always reflect that? Am I aligned more with the Lord or with the world? I really think I'm going through a refining process, and have an increased desire to leave sin that bogs me down, and just live and bask in the freedom I've been given, because it is for freedom that I've been set free. And as I live in that, my faithfulness to the Lord will be increased because my first desire will be His and Him. I want to be like David, "One thing I ask from the Lord, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek Him in His temple." (Psalm 27: 4).

Here are some recent pictures:

These are women in Busiu, learning about a balanced diet. I loved facilitating these lessons, and watching people joyfully learning like this.  It has encouraged and challenged me to be a sponge more-ask more questions, and seek more knowledge. It has challenged me to work on those areas in my life and my self that I'd rather avoid because it's hard or ugly. But God gives us grace and strength. 



These two photos are from some of those beautiful moments of saying yes. The two girls are new friends from my church, and I've loved spending time with their aunt/grandma, Edith. Edith is a wise, caring and God fearing woman that Ive loved sharing with and getting to know.  The other photo comes from Namabasa, the home of my coworker Stephen. I went to visit him and his family, and women jokingly said "can you carry a jerry can on your head?" And I was like I don't know, let me try! Of course it wasn't smooth (see above comment of clumsy self) but I loved trying something new and feel that in my time here I've grown in trying things without fearing so much what others will think or how I'll look. I've also loved seeing where people come from, and have felt a deeper connection with those around me and thank God for that



Here I am after a hike with a friend to a waterfall. I just get breathless by the views and beauty of Uganda. Also, after all the change that I've undergone these nine months, some things haven't changed and my clumsy self remains (note my mud covered legs).

This is me with my good friend and coworker, Micah.  The day this picture was taken was a very fun filled day. We had a women's Sunday at my church, where women lead the entire service, and I joined the choir! I enjoyed learning a Kiswahili song, that talks about praying for others.  Then I went with Micah for a graduation party of a good friend, and someone in a community that MMM has worked in for years, named Tom. He just graduated with his Bachelor's degree of library sciences, and it was a pleasure to be there to witness the momentous event and share in his joy


No comments:

Post a Comment